Hey! I am Mia, a PhD student at Computer Science Department, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, doing research focusing on Information Visualization, advised by Prof. Lane Harrison. I am interested in developing perceptual- and cognitive- friendly visualization/interaction techniques. For example, in DataVis, we found that user exploration can be encouraged with direct encoding of interaction history. In VR, certain tactile feedback can support user to better maintain spatial orientation in immersive virtual environments (Master Thesis, advised by Prof. Robert Lindeman). I got my Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering (Media Art and Science) at Tongji University, Shanghai, China. Building things is amazing, but we are not to build them blindly. We can make the emerging technologies more accessible through a better understanding of ourselves.
News and Updates
- May 2017 Started summer internship at the Visual Analytics group, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Apr 2017 Attended the OpenVis conference, Boston, MA.
- Oct 2016 Presented our paper "HindSight: Encouraging Exploration through Direct Encoding of Personal Interaction History" accepted to InfoVis 2016, in Baltimore, MD. (Please check out our website: https://wpivis.github.io/hindsight/ )
- May 2016 Started summer internship at Bosch Research and Technology Center, working on Augmented Reality.
- Apr 2016 Attended CRA-W Grad Cohort Workshop in San Diego, CA.
- Mar 2016 Presented our paper - "An Initial Exploration of a Multi-Sensory Design Space: Tactile Support for Walking in Immersive Virtual Environments" accepted to 3DUI 2016, in Greenville, SC.
- Jan 2016 Started research on Information Visualization, advised by Prof. Lane Harrison.
- Nov 2015 Presented my Master Thesis at WPI, Prof. Robert Lindeman as advisor, and Prof. Mark Claypool as reader.
- Jun 2015 Started summer internship at iD Game Design & Development Academy, located at Harvard University, and instructed two courses, Game Programming for iOS & Android with Unity, and Game Programming with C++.
Projects & Publications
Some of my research and course projects. How lucky is it to stand on the shoulders of giants, and keep building with blocks.
Art has been my friend since (or even before) I was born. Singing, dancing, painting, acting, radio hosting, you name it.
I embrace every mistake I've made during growth, and change them into treasures by writing them down.